Named after an early settler of Chicago, the Beaubien Tavern has a long and colorful history. Originally built in the 1830s by William Sweet, the building was acquired by Mark Beaubien in 1840. Beaubien utilized the structure as a tavern. Between 1851 and 1857 it was used as a toll house for the SW Plank Road. In 1859, Beaubien was forced to sell the tavern for back taxes.
The blacksmith shop was once a barn that stood in Wisconsin. The 19th century building was disassembled, shipped, and reassembled on our grounds. Volunteers teach the art of blacksmithing here throughout the year.
View Our Blacksmith Classes
Check Out Our Blacksmith Shop Commercial
CB&Q Waycar #14584
The term waycar was what CB&Q employees called this train car, though the term caboose has become most popular. This specific waycar was built in 1881 and served as an employee lounge space for the various workers traveling night and day on the train. It provided beds, a restroom, stove and a cupola, which provided the workers with a great window view of their surroundings. This waycar was donated to the museum in 1998 by a local car dealership that had been using it as an office.
Lisle Depot Museum
When fire destroyed Lisle's first depot, the Chicago Burlingon & Quincy Railroad rebuilt in 1874. This structure is now the centerpiece of The Museums at Lisle Station Park. The station played a key role in the community's growth by serving as a passenger and shipping facility for 104 years. It continues to serve the community by preserving the heritage of Lisle. This structure includes the living quarters that once housed the stationmaster as well as the original Baggage Room. Visitors are invited to explore the many historical exhibits on display in the Baggage Room.
In the late 1850s, this stately house was built by Jacob Netzley, a weaver by trade, after a fire ravaged his family's original home. Four generations of the Netzley family resided in the expansive Greek Revival style home before it was purchased by George Yender in 1910. A family of farmers, the Yenders lived in the home for 76 years.